Sunday, January 29, 2012

Surprise, surprise, a new post after a few months. I am writing because I don't want you to say I have quit my blog. I have not quit, it's just that I like to have you longing for my posts ;-)

This time, I'll give you some cultural notes about the UK. Yesterday I was invited to celebrate the Burns Night, that is a celebration of the Scottish poet Robert Burns.
The celebration includes a dinner and dancing. The most traditional dish is "haggis", which is a mix of sheep's heart, liver and kidneys, minced with different spices. Despite the description may sound a bit disgusting, I liked it.
Before eating the haggis, someone says the Robert Burns' poem "Address to a Haggis". After eating, everyone goes for a dance.
By the way, do you remember the song that is usually played at the end of the parties when they want the people to leave? Apparently, the song belongs to a Burns' poem and was also played to mark the end of the party. It seems that we have many more things in common with the Britons than what we thought!!!

Changing the subject, last time I was with you, I don't remember to whom I talk about the stadium that there is close to my place. At that moment I didn't remember whose team it was. Now I do, the team is the Queens Park Rangers and they are near the bottom of the table in the Premier League. Actually, yesterday a group of hooligans marched in front of my flat surrounded by policemen and yelling. I think there was more policemen than supporters.

Well, I'll keep this post short to avoid to overload your minds with too much stuff after all these months in blank. I'll just say, in case anyone is interested, that the past 16th January was the "Blue Monday", supposedly the worst day in the year. Just a bit of superstition.

Bye for now. I'll see you next time, hopefully, sooner than this last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment