Thursday, September 15, 2011

I am an immigrant

Howdy,
Daca, bear with me, be patient. I have no time, I'm super busy. Ok, this post is dedicated to you.
Since now I'm an immigrant, I'm going to speak about this topic.

Some days ago, I listened to the radio as they talked about if London is no longer an English city. The question was related to the fact that the number of foreigners keeps increasing continuously. Certainly, London is a very cosmopolitan city.
My English teacher told us that in some areas in London, many people do not speak English and the Londoners feel strange themselves.
I have also been told that Australians and New Zealanders have much success in London. They do not have the language barrier and they work hard.
In fact, most foreigners in London think that English people are lazy. On the other hand, the Britons think that foreign people are getting their jobs as well as they crowd public services and claim for benefits.
Well, that rings a bell! I think this problem is familiar for all of us.

However, it is impossible to restrain the effects of the globalization. This week, at the corner shop, which is run by a guy from the Middle East, I have bought grapes from Valencia, melon from Tomelloso and nectarines and flat peaches from Spain (it was not specified the exactly place). Moreover, there are apples from France, pears from South Africa, papayas from Brazil, cherries from the USA, blueberries from Poland, strawberries and raspberries from England and so on.

By the way, I have especially liked to find yellow dates. I had never seen them before. They are fresh dates, some of them are even green because they are still unripe. When you let them dry, they become in the dates we are used to seeing in Spain.

It is said that the curry is the most popular flavour in London. They want to mean that the Indian population is very large and so is their influence. This reminds me that my landlady would cook spicy food. She said that her meals were mild but my face sometimes got reddish.

I'll see you next time.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree that London is not the best place for learning english, becouse most people living there are not english and all of them have their own pronunciation.
    Small cities are best suited if you are looking for the real british way of life (ie. Ipswitch) or if you want to learn pure english, the kind of english that is really very hard to understand. If you can understand that pronunciation you will understand any other one.
    By the way, take a look at:
    http://www.forolondres.com/weblogs-espanoles-en-londres.php
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete